Sunday, April 14, 2013

Gone




     days on end, then weeks
     a white car would pass
     I’d look, wanting to see

     my friend, it should have been you

     once you were walking far off
     just rounding a corner
     not at all like a dead man

     for months in a new city
     there was one almost like you 
     in line at the bank
     registering for classes
     laughing with friends at a bar

     there’s more than one dream

     remember this dream?
     I demand an address or phone number
     you shake your head practically
     this is it, you say
     you can’t come see me
     as if to a child who must be made to see
 
     it isn’t now what it was then
     I don’t search these crowds for your one and only face

     my friend
     if you come looking for me now
     you won’t know me

     I’m twice as old as we ever imagined we’d be


No comments:

Post a Comment