Friday, July 6, 2012

War and peace



In early May I attended an all day Moon Lodge workshop, a women's gathering in the Ojibwe tradition.  One theme of our group study was “choosing not to go to war” in our individual lives and relationships.  What might that look like?  

The leader of the workshop took us through a guided meditation.  At one point she asked us to meditate on the following:

(1) Think of someone who you have felt was “better” than you.
(2) Think of someone whom you felt “better than”.
(3) Think of someone who has hurt or betrayed you, where forgiveness has been difficult.
(4) Think of someone who is your “enemy”, someone you’re in battle with.
(5) Think of someone you love unconditionally and without reservations.  You'd do anything for this person.

Interesting outcomes for me:  I couldn’t find anyone for (4), the enemy.  Nobody came to mind.  I came up with ways that people can behave as my enemy, yes, by holding certain harmful political viewpoints, but not any individual in my daily social interactions nor in my personal history that I would label as an enemy.  More surprisingly, (1) and (2), someone who I felt was better than me and that I was better than, were the same person.  It was during meditation on these painful memories that tears formed, a re-stimulation of feelings I thought I’d moved on from long ago.  After this exercise we made herbal packets that would be invested with whatever attachment we had identified and wanted to release at the fire later.  This burning of the packet turned out to be liberating for me.  I've never had a great respect for rituals.  But I now believe that ritual, when it's connected to something true within your soul and heart, can be transformative and healing, by reinforcing the worth and value and reality of the energy represented.  We got to go to the fire individually in turn, while the group drummed and sang in a circle of support around us.  Men were included in this part of the lodge experience, and they drummed and sang with us.  And when we weren't the one at the fire, we were supporting someone who was.  It started an evolution of inner transformation that I’ve continued and nurtured since then.


Another goal of the gathering was to learn about the phases of the moon we were born under.  I was born on a full moon, which means a number of things.  But there’s another movement of the moon that was new to me:  the moon goes through 13 cycles in a year, not 12, and each of these has a name.  I was born under a blueberry moon (which I think is the 11th cycle).  Blueberry moon people are pleasure-givers.  The purest expression of this is that we love deeply and have a calling to provide pleasure and comfort to those we love.  The “warning” is that we can get taken advantage of and used.

So I’m in the “berry group”, and there’s an amusing story that goes along with this.  This is a paraphrased version of the story the lodge leader told (I can’t retell it in her inimitable narrative style):   

A respected elder in the tribe had done many great things for the community.  He approached the council for permission to marry more than one wife.  Because he had given unselfishly of his wisdom, skills and energy for the benefit of the group, they agreed that he could add to his household in this way, which he did, marrying in total three wives by the time he was a very old man.  It was widely perceived that he was a happy and wise man, with still a lot of energy and gifts to give the tribe, and so he explained that he had made the wisest possible use of the privilege granted by the council, by marrying women in the proper order: “First, I married a strawberry moon woman.  She gave us children and loved them and raised them well, making for us a happy and loving home.  Next, I married a raspberry moon woman.  She is an efficient manager, handling our affairs, maintaining our household, making sure everything gets done and nothing is wasted, ensuring prosperity, saving resources, and providing peace of mind.  Last, I married a blueberry woman, someone devoted to me, giving me great pleasure, love and comfort in my old age.  And this was the right order of things.”

And I must admit, it resonates.  I'm a blueberry moon woman. 


                         

No comments:

Post a Comment