Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Angels


Angels come in threes for me, and by 11 am today I've encountered two.  They both said the same thing: do what you love, love what you do.  

The first was a puzzle synchronicity, the kind I'm most used to, the confirmation that working at puzzles is my prayer, my calling. 

The echo came in the form of a biracial fellow carrying a hedge-trimmer.  He's the real-life embodiment of a guy I often encounter in  dreams.  No, really.

I'm in my own little world, probably muttering to myself, when our paths intersect.  He says endearingly "Aw, you didn't bring me a coffee?"  I'm on my way back to work from the corner coffee shop, see, with a cup in my hand.  

He's little, like me.  In his too-large company cap and his red uniform shirt and his official capacity, he's kind of hard to see at first, like the guy in dreams, peripheral, then not.

"How are you today?" he smiles, and I say fine, and ask him back, in kind.

"Just maintaining sanity" he smiles, authentically. 

"And the hedges" I reply, uncharacteristically ready with my riposte.  I don't normally succeed this way, but there is a palpable magic happening.

"Those are both good things to maintain,"  I add, emboldened by my success.  Because he laughs for real, agreeing.  We're walking and talking, same direction.

"It's easy when you do what you love all day," he responds, and this stops me in my tracks.  "I really love what I do, I get to do it all day, and everything falls into place, life is good."  He's not walking now, he's just looking into my eyes, and he's being purposeful, really communicating.  He even adds a head tilt, and it's that head-tilt that gets me every time... although we've never met.  

(Right.)

Groping in my bag for my key fob, I'm thinking what the fuck is happening right now

In a good way.  It's just that, like old Scrooge, I'm not quite sure I want to know what the third angel will be like.  If I'm lucky, he/she will be as gentle a messenger.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment